A Brief History of World Fantasy Conventions
in Providence, RI
History of the other
21 World Fantasy Conventions can be found at the World Fantasy Convention site.
- 1975: The 1st World Fantasy Convention, at the Holiday Inn
- Chair: Kirby McCauley
- Theme: "The Lovecraft Circle"
- Guest of Honor: Robert Bloch
- Toastmaster: Gahan Wilson
- Novel: Patricia McKillip for The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
- Short Fiction: Robert Aickman for "Pages From a Young Girl's Diary"
- Collection/Anthology: Manly Wade Wellman for Worse Things Waiting
- Artist: Lee Brown Coye
- Special Award - Professional: Ian & Betty Ballantine
- Special Award - Non-Professional: Stuart David Schiff
- Lifetime Achievement: Robert Bloch
- Judges: Ramsey Campbell, Edward R. Ferman, David G. Hartwell, Fritz Leiber, Gahan Wilson
- 1979: The 5th World Fantasy Convention, at the Biltmore Hotel
- Chair: Bob Booth
- Theme: "Reunion"
- Guests of Honor: Stephen King, Frank Belknap Long, Michael Whelan
- Toastmaster: Charles L. Grant
- Novel: Michael Moorcock for Gloriana
- Short Fiction: Avram Davidson for "Naples"
- Collection/Anthology: Charles L. Grant, ed. for Shadows
- Artist: Alicia Austin
- Special Award - Professional: Edward L. Ferman for F&SF
- Special Award - Non-Professional: Donald H. Tuck
- Convention Award: Kirby McCauley
- Lifetime Achievement: Jorge Luis Borges
- Judges: Poul Anderson, Terry Carr, Dennis Etchison, Elizabeth A. Lynn, Roy A.
- 1986: The 12th World Fantasy Convention, at the Biltmore Hotel
- Chair: Robert Plante
- Theme: "From 'New Writers' to 'Old Masters' "
- Guests of Honor: Ramsey Campbell, Charles L. Grant, J.K. Potter
- Toastmaster: Douglas E. Winter
- Novel: Dan Simmons for Song of Kali
- Novella: T.E.D. Klein for "Nadelman's God"
- Short Fiction: James P. Blaylock for "Paper Dragons"
- Anthology/Collection: Robin McKinley, ed. for Imaginary Lands
- Artist: Jeff Jones
- Special Award - Professional: Pat LoBrutto for editing
- Special Award - Non-Professional: Douglas E. Winter for reviewing
- Convention Award: Donald A. Wollheim
- Lifetime Achievement: Avram Davidson
- Judges: Robert A. Collins, Ellen Datlow, Dean R. Koontz, Patricia A. McKillip,
Charles de Lint
Site Map. An easy way to navigate these pages.
© MCFI, 1999-2009. All rights to content reserved to Massachusetts Convention Fandom, Incorporated, unless otherwise indicated.
Address inquiries to MCFI, P.O. Box 1010, Framingham, MA 01701;
617-776-3243 (fax); firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further details, read the fine print.
This page maintained by email@example.com.